Immersion can be hard to master. However, with practice, expertise, and the proper tune for background music, it becomes simpler. Music or sound effects to increase the ambience are one factor that adds to the overall immersion.
Background sounds to add to your game’s immersion. A survey shows that nearly all of the larping respondents felt that background music and sound effects increased their overall sense of immersion (the computer games journal). Use these scene and music changes to improve your game.
Top Ten Tips for Immersive Background Music
We’ve compiled a list of the top ten tips for adding immersive music to any kind of game. Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.
- Set the playlist up ahead of time and just click play to start and next when the next scene change comes up
- Putter on forums related to TTRPGS or social groups on social media. You don’t need to be active in the groups to learn more tips, tricks, and background music or soundscape suggestions.
- Change it up each game to keep your players on their toes
- Try having scene-specific soundscapes. If your players are inside a rowdy tavern, play a soundscape that’s crowded and noisy.
- Find new sounds. Try different styles, or artists when compiling your playlists. There’s always something new to add to your games.
- Listen to them beforehand to anticipate any changes in volume or loud bursts of noise.
- Consider your audience’s preferences and take their advice. The playlist is for immersion for you as much as it is for your players. Collaborate with your players to find new and exciting music.
- Branch out. It may seem counterintuitive but try different genres for your game. Your western style game could benefit from some spooky soundtracks during a specifically scary night scene.
- Don’t be afraid to make mistakes. If the song doesn’t work at the moment or isn’t vibing with your players, take it as a learning opportunity. It’s not a mistake if you learn from it.
- Follow switchingstyles.ca to get updates on fun and quirky music to add to your game.
Immersive Soundscape Playlist
Here are some ambient playlists, soundscapes, and background tracks to make your game as immersive as possible.
“Jurassic Park Music & Ambience – Amazing Soundscapes and Music” By Ambient Worlds
“Full Hour of Avatar the Last Airbender and Korra Amazing Soundtracks!” By Red Life
“11 HOURS of Rainforest Birds in 4K – Colorful Breathtaking Birds with Sound” by Nature Relaxation Films
Additional immersion information, recommendations, and methods may be found at switchingstyles.ca. Let me know in the comments what your favourite music recommendation was! Thank you for taking the time to read today’s update! It means a great deal to the writers. To never miss an update or a contest, follow the blog on WordPress or our social media!